Ice Operations – Shear tests on brash ice
Shear tests on brash ice was carried out in the Bay of Bothnia in the first week of March 2020. Brash ice was collected at the harbour and transported to laboratory. Drill ice core samples was collected for testing.
How to do the Shear tests
Some of the methods that was decided to use before the testing was:
- Methods for filling up the chamber with brash ice
- Estimate time needed for closing the chamber after it is filled with brash ice
- Procedures for the shear tests
- How to remove tested brash ice for the chambers.
- How to refill the chamber and prepare for next shear tests
Read more here about the preparation methods for the big shear tests: